Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Self Improvement



Edwin Smith Papyrus: A Fracture of the Clavicle
- examination: if thou examinest a man having a break in his collar-bone (and) thou shouldst find his collar-bone short and separated from its fellow.
- diagnosis: thou shouldst say concerning him : "One having a break in his collar-bone. An ailment which I will treat."
- treatment: thou shouldst place him prostrate on back, with something folded between his two shoulder-blades; thou shouldst spread out with his two shoulders in order to stretch apart his collar-bone until that break falls into its place. thou shouldst make for him two splints of linen, (and) thou shouldst apply one of them both on the inside of his upper arm. thou shouldst bind it with yarn, (and) treat it afterward with honey every day, until he recovers.
See http://wheelessonline.com/ortho/clavicle_fractures

What I want to know is: where was the honey and yarn when I first needed it?

After much contemplation, quite a number of visits to the Dr and one xray after another, I have made the decision to get screwed on Friday. Okay, I apologize for being crass, but that's what they do these days when the yarn & honey treatment fails. The photos are not xrays of my collarbone, but mine looks similar. It still hurts. I describe it as though someone or some thing has sunk their teeth into the front of my shoulder and just rips at it whenever it feels provoked. This creature is easily provoked, mind you. Toothbrushing, reading in bed, adjusting the covers, steering the car, tying shoelaces and pulling on socks or opening the refrigerator are just a few of the things that can set off the snarly toothed monster. I've had it up to "here" with the likes of this creature! 12 weeks is enough of the yarn & honey. I'll get back to you soon....

No comments: