Saturday, July 07, 2012

Graduation & Salutations!

I've really graduated. Although I walked across the stage and did the ceremony with my classmates, I hadn't actually finished all of my clinical class. Now, one month after the ceremony, I've finished it all. I'm proud of myself for what I have done, I'd be more satisfied if there wasn't one miserable B on my transcript. There's a lot I could say about that B, but won't waste your time on it, other to say that it was wrong, and I deserved an A. B stands for a "black mark" in my book, even though I know it's not really.
What will I do now? Everyone asks me that. I really don't know. I wish I could just hurl myself into another career direction. I'm actually a bit jealous of my classmates who are in the position to send out resumes, interview and get a new job. (Not that its all that easy) I would love to get into medical coding. I would love to learn and get qualified in medical systems. I would love to continue in academia. I don't know what to do next other than enjoy the very comfortable job and half-way decent pay I have now. Except that I know at some point that is going to end.
At the same time, I am watching my parents growing into old age and I know that they need me. Dad is weaker than ever with CHF and mom is not able to do what she is used to. Marv & I spend more & more time just being there for them. We are happy to do it and I'm learning more about my Dad than ever. This is his time to reflect and I am comforted by my conversations with him. When I was little and not feeling well, he would rest his hand on my back (I was little and relative to me, his hand was as big as my back) and I would feel warm and safe. As long as he is here with me I will feel safe. He is my hero. In spite of all faults, he is my hero.
So I have to be where I have to be? And I have to make sure that when I go, I go in the right direction. I know that I have the ability to move in a new career direction and that I should do what I need to do to sustain my needs and my family.
I'm just having a little trouble convincing myself.

No comments: