Monday, September 09, 2013

These new days....



I enjoy these internet/Facebook memes that comment about love, life and parenting.  Some of them hit home.  I wonder why we need them to express ourselves.  They can be handy I guess. 
When Eric was born, and before, I kept a journal.  My feelings, and my awarenesses.  Then came Stacey and I was busy with Eric and worried about problems I was having with my pregnancy that stopped me short of journaling as much like I did before.   By the time Evan came along, I found I just wanted to live it, and not worry about writing.  As time passed, I felt the same about taking pictures of stuff.  I wanted to live it and watch it, not try to take photos of it.
So now we have all this Facebook stuff and social media throwing sentiments our way and asking us to throw them out there some more.  It’s okay, I guess.  But what is more important is that we make sure we aren’t living & experiencing it off the internet, because it’s convenient.  I see that as a dangerous possibility.
If all this was available when my kids were growing up, I don’t know how it would have changed things for certain, but I am certainly aware that it would not have led to the wonderful time I had raising them – on my own – making my own judgments and sometimes my own mistakes.
I’m sorry that kids today have all this at their fingertips and may choose to weigh it against the reality of the love of their families.

No comments: